The dried seaweed provides a natural source of iodine; the salmon, egg, and spinach provide the amino acid tyrosine; the shiitake mushrooms provide a small amount of selenium; and if you ensure your chili sauce and mayonnaise are gluten free, this recipe is gluten free.
Look for the Korean chili sauce in the ethnic food section of your grocery store. If you can’t find it, you can use chili garlic sauce instead—just cut down or omit the garlic.
Korean Salmon and Seaweed Quinoa Bowl
Serves 4 | Recipe by Lauren Larson, MS, RDN
½ cup dried Wakame or Kombu seaweed
1 cup quinoa
4 teaspoons cooking oil, divided
¾ pound salmon
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 green onions, sliced, green and white parts separated
4 handfuls baby spinach
oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Korean chili sauce
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups coleslaw mix (or ¾ cup shredded cabbage and ¾ cup shredded carrots)
1. Cover seaweed with warm water and soak.
2. Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season salmon with salt and pepper, and pan sear on both sides until golden brown; about 2-3 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid or foil and cook until salmon flakes easily with a fork; about 4-8 minutes. Remove skin if present. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Return skillet to heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add white parts of green onions, spinach, and shiitake mushrooms. Sauté until greens are wilted and mushrooms are soft. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
5. Wipe out skillet and return to heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add eggs and fry to desired doneness. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
6. Make sauce by combining Korean chili sauce, mayonnaise, sesame oil, and garlic. Set aside.
7. Drain and roughly chop seaweed. Add to quinoa and stir to combine.
8. Divide quinoa among four bowls. Top with spinach and mushroom mixture, cabbage and carrot mix, green parts of green onions, cooked salmon, and egg. Distribute sauce evenly over each bowl.